Awards provide internal support for competitively reviewed proposals to stimulate research and additional outside research funding for a one-year period. Award categories and submission guidelines are outlined below. For all categories, evidence of prior or planned future efforts to secure external funding for the activities will be viewed favorably in reviewing proposals.
Please note: the submission process has changed from prior years.
Proposals for all mechanisms are due by 5 pm March 25, 2019 to your department Chair and Director of Administrative Services. The Chair and DAS will submit approved proposals to the BSOS Research Office directly by April 2, 2019. Proposals submitted directly to the BSOS Research Office will not be considered. Award decisions will be announced on or before May 1, 2019.
Questions regarding eligibility, and assembly and submission of proposals can be directed to bsosresearch [at] umd [dot] edu. Direct any scientific or technical questions to Dr. Jeff Lucas at jlucas2 [at] umd [dot] edu.
Proposal Assembly Instructions
Proposal Assembly (Standard proposal assembly instructions apply to all proposal types.) Proposals should be compiled in a single PDF and utilize the following format:
- “Cover Sheet – Applicant”
- “Cover Sheet – Co-Applicant” if the proposal has co-applicants/investigators
- Scientific narrative up to three single spaced pages (12pt Times New Roman) with core elements to typically include introduction, aims/hypotheses, and methods. (This is for all awards except for Junior Faculty International Research Awards, Mentored Undergraduate Research Teams, and Graduate Student Travel Awards: see the “Additional Notes” sections in those categories for instructions on proposal narratives.)
- List of previous efforts to obtain external funding for this specific work
- Detailed timeline across the year of funding and up to one year beyond, outlining proposed a) research activities, b) funding efforts, and c) scholarly products
- Detailed budget including other research activities funded by cost-sharing (including the source of these funds)
- CVs from all personnel