The BSOS Research Team can help faculty develop external grant proposals with a range of activities including:
- prepare budgets, both internal and for submission;
- coordinate the development of proposal components (scientific and non-scientific);
- assist investigators to prepare standard proposal forms required by the sponsor and funding opportunity, and enter forms and information in sponsor submission portals;
- assist with writing of various non-scientific proposal requirements (e.g. administrative forms, budget narrative, etc.);
- format proposals for compliance, presentation, and consistency;
- review documents for completeness by checking them against the funding solicitation;
- address common compliance issues early to reduce problems identified through the UMD routing process;
- represent UMD, in varying capacities, to external sponsors, collaborating organizations and individuals, and other constituents. This includes disseminating information necessary for the successful and compliant submission of sponsored proposals;
- and coordinate routing of proposals (both funded and zero-dollar contractual agreements) through the Dean's Office and the Office of Research Administration.
On a case-by-case basis, and based on competing workload, proposal managers can help structure and present proposal text for clarity, and edit components so that reviewers can quickly identify the main messages, locate pertinent information, and follow the flow of the proposal.
These services are primarily available to all faculty, students, and investigators in AFAM, ANTH, CCJS, HESP, and Dean's Office units without proposal development specialists, but the team may also be able to assist faculty in other departments on an as-needed basis. Any individual who needs support for upcoming proposals should use the form linked below to indicate an intent to submit. While it is easier for the team to assist you if we have more information, only the first five questions are required in order to complete the form.
The Intent to Submit form should be completed as soon as possible when an opportunity has been identified, preferably at least 6 weeks before the deadline. Remember that the earlier the research team is aware of a proposal, the more in depth the service and guidance can be. Agreements which need only to be submitted for routing (e.g. data use agreements, non-disclosure agreements, etc) do not need to be submitted weeks in advance, but should be sent via the Intent to Submit form as soon as practical. One of our proposal development coordinators will reach out to you within one business day of submission of the form. If you have questions or concerns, please email us at BSOSResearch [at] umd [dot] edu.