Eligibility and Expectations
All students who will be rising juniors or seniors in Fall 2017 are eligible for the Summer Research Initiative. The University of Maryland has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity. In that spirit, we are very interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of individuals, specifically African American, Hispanic, and American Indian students. Applicants must also meet ALL of the following requirements:
- Be citizens or permanent residents of the United States;
- Be enrolled full-time at an accredited four-year higher education institution and obtain junior or senior status in the Fall 2017 academic year;
- Demonstrate an interest in pursuing graduate study in one of the behavioral or social sciences;
- Will have taken a basic statistics or research methodology course; and
- Possess an excellent academic record including a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA.
SRI Expectations for Participants
The Summer Research Initiative is a full-time, 40-hour-per-week commitment; therefore, students should not register for any summer classes or hold employment during the program period. Participants are required to attend all seminar series and program events (on and off-campus), meet with mentors regularly, and complete all scheduled assignments. They will be expected to prepare a poster presentation of their research topic at the end of the program session.
Students will be provided round-trip air fare, room and board in University on-campus housing, and $3,150 (before taxes - amount includes stipend and meal allowances).
2017 SRI Program Dates
The application for the 2017 SRI will be available from November 1, 2016 to February 10, 2017. Applications will be reviewed February – March, 2017 and selection announcements will be made beginning April, 2017.
The actual program runs 8 weeks, from June 5, 2017 – July 28, 2017. Students are required to arrive on campus on Saturday, June 3rd for mandatory Saturday and Sunday program orientation, but SRI programming will officially begin on Monday, June 5th.