All students who will be rising juniors or seniors in Fall 2019 are eligible for the Summer Research Initiative. The University of Maryland has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity. In that spirit, we are very interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of individuals, specifically African American, Hispanic, and American Indian students.
Applicants must also meet ALL of the following requirements:
- Be citizens or permanent residents of the United States;
- Be enrolled full-time at an accredited four-year higher education institution and obtain junior or senior status in the Fall 2019 academic year;
- Demonstrate an interest in pursuing graduate study in one of the behavioral or social sciences;
- Will have taken a basic statistics or research methodology course; and
- Possess an excellent academic record including a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA.
SRI Expectations for Participants
The Summer Research Initiative is a full-time, 40-hour-per-week commitment; therefore, students should not register for any summer classes or hold employment during the program period. Participants are required to attend all seminar series and program events (on and off-campus), meet with mentors regularly, and complete all scheduled assignments. They will be expected to prepare a poster presentation of their research topic at the end of the program session.
Students will be provided round-trip air fare, room and board in University on-campus housing, and $3,150 (before taxes - amount includes stipend and meal allowances).
2019 SRI Program Dates
Applications are open from November 1, 2018 to February 10, 2019; review period February – March 2019; selection announcements will be made beginning April 2019.
The program runs 8 weeks, from June 3, 2019 – July 26, 2019.Students are required to arrive on campus on Saturday, June 1 for mandatory Saturday and Sunday program orientation, but SRI programming will officially begin on Monday, June 3.