Expectations and Qualifications
The SRI focuses on providing rising juniors and seniors with a quality summer research experience. Rising sophomores and graduating seniors are rarely admitted. The University of Maryland has a strong institutional commitment to improving the behavioral and social sciences by increasing the diversity and inclusion of the doctoral-level science workforce. In that spirit, we are very interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of individuals, and especially from Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino/a/LatinX, and American Indian and Alaskan Native students.
Applicants must also meet the following requirements:
- Be citizens or permanent residents of the United States;
- Be enrolled full-time at an accredited four-year higher education institution, with preference given to those will have obtained junior or senior status by the fall 2022;
- Demonstrate an interest in pursuing graduate study in one of the behavioral or social sciences, with preference given to those interested in doctoral studies;
- Will have taken a basic statistics or research methodology course; and
- Possess an excellent academic record, including a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA.
SRI Expectations for Participants
The Summer Research Initiative is a full-time, 40-hour-per-week commitment and participants are required to reside in the university housing provided by the program and to participate in all SRI activities throughout the summer. Participation includes all SRI program and research activities and assignments and meetings with research and program mentors. Therefore, students should not register for summer classes, hold employment that interferes with their participation, or make other summer plans that would interrupt their full and consistent immersion in the program during the 8-week program period.
Students will be provided a $3,000 stipend (before taxes). Travel to College Park for the summer and return travel home, room, board, and program activities expenses are covered by BSOS. Group housing is provided on campus.
2022 BSOS SRI Program Dates
The review period is from February – April 2022 and selection announcements will be made beginning April 2022.
The 2022 BSOS SRI will be an in-person experience and runs for 8 weeks, from Monday, June 6, 2022 - Friday, July 29, 2022.