If you are a BSOS student with financial need that is preventing you from taking advantage of an experiential learning opportunity, apply for BSOS Undergraduate Experience Funds.
Note that BSOS accepts applications for these funds on a biannual basis. Please check back if the application is not currently open.
For recommendations on how to write a successful application, and view a list of the kinds of expenses that may be considered for funding, check out these suggestions from the selection committee.
- Submit a complete application (all questions answered). Best consideration date is January 16, applications will be considered on a rolling basis after that date until funding is gone.
- Have completed at least one semester (fall 2022 or earlier) at the University of Maryland.
- Have at least one semester (spring 2023 or later) left as a student at the University of Maryland.
- Be enrolled in a BSOS major or an ENSP, NEUR, or SDSC major track housed within the BSOS College.
- Notifications will be sent on a rolling basis for those that apply by the "best consideration" date. Applicants who apply after the best consideration date can expect to receive a response the following Friday after application has been submitted.
All recipients will be asked to submit a Thank You video, which will be shared with the donor(s) of the fund you are receiving. Questions regarding BSOS Undergraduate Experience Funds or the application process should be directed to bsos-scholarships [at] umd [dot] edu.
- Complete the learning experience for which you apply in spring 2023. If you choose not to complete the experience, you must notify the Selection Committee (bsos-scholarships [at] umd [dot] edu) and the funds will be rescinded
- Preference in selecting awardees will be given for activities where financial obstacles would likely prevent a student from participating.
- Preference will be given for unpaid experiences in not-for-profit, government, or educational organizations, rather than in for-profit companies.
- Preference will be given for NEW, rather than continuing, experiences (i.e. starting a new internship, as opposed to continuing in a position from a previous semester or summer).
- These funds are NOT designated for study abroad experiences. Visit the Education Abroad Scholarships page to learn more about study abroad funding.
- Students may apply for funding for more than one learning experience per application cycle, but may only receive funding for one experience.
These BSOS experiences are generously supported by the following funds:
- The Anthropology Student Experience Fund
- The Dean Gregory F. Ball Student Experience Endowment
- The Beardsley Family Endowed Student Experience Fund
- The Dr. Jack Blanchard and Dr. Melanie E. Bennett Student Experience Endowment
- The Taylor and Brandon Cole Student Experience Endowment
- The College of Behavioral and Social Sciences (BSOS) Student Experience Fund
- The Dean's Student Advisory Council Unpaid Internship Scholarship
- The Dries Family Student Experience Endowment
- The Felecia Love Greer Student Experience Endowment
- The Gary L. Rozier Professional Experience Fellowships for Economics Majors
- The Dr. Katherine F. Russell and George L. Askew, MD Student Experience Endowment
- The John Sapienza Award
- The Dr. Kiert Toh and Family Undergraduate Student Award
- The Robert R. Satterfield Economics Student Opportunities Endowed Funds
These award funds may be deposited into your Student Financial Account or distributed by check sent to the permanent address on file with the university. Please verify that your address on record is current by visiting https://www.testudo.umd.edu/. If you are receiving other financial aid or scholarships, you should speak with a Financial Aid counselor to determine whether the funds from this scholarship will impact your Financial Aid package. The Office of Student Financial Aid can be reached at 301-314-9000.