Tenured and Tenure-Track Faculty
This page contains information on the promotion process for tenure-track and tenured faculty. The University of Maryland Policy on Appointment, Promotion, and Tenure (APT) of Faculty is found here. The University's guidelines for APT, maintained by the Office of Faculty Affairs, are found here. The APT manual and guidelines are updated on an as-needed basis. To ensure that you are using the most up-to-date copy of the guidelines, please access the online document on the Office of Faculty Affairs website.
A candidate's preparation for tenure and promotion review begins when they enter the University. Soon after the candidate arrives, the APT policy calls for the unit administrator to provide the candidate with a copy of the promotion criteria by which they will be evaluated (APT Policy Section II, Section IV) and to appoint one or more senior faculty mentors (APT Policy Section IV.A.3). The College's guidelines on the evaluation of tenure-track faculty involved in interdisciplinary research are found here.
College APT Deadlines for AY2021-2022
The department deadlines to submit their cases to the Deans' Office are November 4, 2021 (for promotion cases), and November 11, 2021 (for tenure [mandatory and elective] cases).
Please note that there is no deadline for new external cases.
The Office of Faculty Affairs (OFA) recommends that all emeritus/a cases be submitted by January 1. Once OFA and the campus committees beginning their review, they prioritize APT/AEP cases and pick the emeritus/a cases back up around May 1.
College APT Committee Members AY2021-2022
- Dr. Philip Cohen [College APT Committee Chair] | Sociology
- Dr. Johanna Birnir | Government and Politics
- Dr. Matthew Hansen | Geographical Sciences
- Dr. Andrea Chronis-Tuscano | Psychology
- Dr. Matthew Goupell | Hearing and Speech Sciences
- Dr. Boragan Aruoba | Economics
- Dr. Patricio Korzeniewicz, Associate Dean of Faculty Affairs
- Ms. Elizabeth Martinez, Coordinator of Faculty Affairs and Graduate Education
Additional Notes and Resources
- For BSOS Department APT Managers: The candidate review materials, teaching portfolio, and supplemental materials must be bookmarked and in searchable text. The dossier elements to be bookmarked are listed at the bottom of the Transmittal Form and must be in the appropriate order. All three packets must be submitted through the online Appointments, Promotions, and Awards (APA) management application. Go to http://faculty.umd.edu/apa, log in with your university login, and follow the instructions in the "Help" section. There is no need to notify the Dean's Office or the Office of Faculty Affairs when you upload an APT dossier; the system will generate an automatic notification.
- The Office of Faculty Affairs - APT Resources and Links
- The Office of Faculty Affairs Website: https://www.faculty.umd.edu/index.html
- APT Forms &Templates: https://faculty.umd.edu/main/resources/forms-and-templates#apt-forms-amp-templa…
- Tenure Delay Information: https://www.faculty.umd.edu/faculty/promotion.html#tendelay